Actor Dennis Quaid and his wife are to sue the makers of a blood thinner which was given to his newborn twins in an accidental overdose last month.
Dennis Quaid is seeking at least $50,000 (£24,429) in damages
Quaid's twins were mistakenly given a larger dose of Heparin in a Los Angeles hospital when they were two-weeks-old.
He alleges Baxter Healthcare failed to put clear labels on vials of Heparin which caused the mix-up.
Deborah Spak, from the Illinois-based company, said: "The issue here is about improper use of a product."
She added: "While we strive to clearly differentiate our products and dosages, no amount of differentiation will replace the value of clinicians carefully reviewing and reading a drug name and dose before dispensing and administering it."
The children, Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace, were mistakenly given 10,000 units of Heparin instead of the normal 10 units, while they were patients at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
Cedars-Sinai apologised at the time for what it called a preventable human error.
The lawsuit filed by Quaid claims Baxter is liable because the labels on the 10-unit and 10,000-unit vials are very similar.
Quaid's lawyer Susan Loggans said Quaid and his wife, Kimberley Buffington, had not yet decided whether to sue the hospital.
"The point of this case is to save other children from this fate. They're not looking for money," she said.
Ms Loggans added that the babies were now back home and "doing fantastic."
Quaid, 53, is best known for roles in a string of hit films in the 1980 such as The Right Stuff, Enemy Mine and Innerspace.