Classical singer Russell Watson has been discharged from hospital after brain surgery last week.
Russell Watson is going home to recover from surgery
The 40-year-old father-of-two underwent the three-hour operation on a tumour at Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle, Cheshire, on Thursday.
As he left hospital, Watson said: "I'm just happy to be alive and be with my children at the moment."
"I'm very emotional. It's my daughter's 13th birthday and I didn't think I would get to see that," he added.
The singer, who added that he felt "better than I was when I came in", also paid tribute to messages of support from his fans, calling them "amazing".
A statement from Watson's management added: "We would like to pass on Russell's heartfelt thanks for the overwhelming amount of messages and gifts from his fans.
"The tremendous support he is receiving really makes a difference and as soon as he is able he will send a personal message to you all."
Watson's manager, Richard Thompson, said scar tissue in the singer's nose from the previous operation meant surgery had to be carried out through his mouth this time.
"There was some concern because when he came out of theatre he was having trouble speaking, but he's speaking normally now," he said.
"It is a worry, but we don't know how much of a worry. When he had the operation a year ago we didn't want to go through the mouth for obvious reasons, but there was no option this time.
"He's got stitches in his mouth and they'll need to heal. But he will be singing again."
Watson will now undergo an extensive rehabilitation programme, which will include radiotherapy.
The Salford-born singer made a full recovery from an operation for a brain tumour just over a year ago.
However, it was discovered the tumour had redeveloped when he was taken ill in a recording studio.
Watson was forced to cancel performances, including before the NFL American football game at Wembley Stadium on Sunday between the New York Giants and the Miami Dolphins.