[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 24 September 2007, 11:24 GMT 12:24 UK
Diana programme escapes censure
Princess Diana
The documentary also gained positive comments after it aired
A documentary about the final moments of Princess Diana's life did not breach broadcasting standards, media watchdog Ofcom has ruled.

Channel 4's Diana: The Witnesses In The Tunnel, received 104 complaints in June after it showed an image from the crash which ended Diana's life in 1997.

Their use had been "justified by context", Ofcom adjudicated, adding they were "integral" to the programme.

Some viewers complained after Princes William and Harry raised objections.

'Not sensationalised'

Before the programme was transmitted, they said showing the images was "a gross disrespect" to their mother's memory and had asked for the scenes to be cut, a request which Channel 4 rebuffed.

Ofcom considered that the broadcaster had taken steps to lessen the impact of the sensitive photographs, which depicted the moments after the crash.

One image showed the Princess receiving oxygen from a French medic, but her face was obscured and her injuries were not visible.

The black and white photograph, described as poor quality, was used to support his testimony about the incident.

"Overall the photographs were used in a sensitive manner and were not sensationalised," Ofcom said.

The watchdog conceded that some viewers might object to the documentary, but said it was "in line with expectations for an investigative historical drama on Channel 4".

Channel 4's head of specialist factual programmes, Hamish Mykura, who commissioned the film, said: "This programme helped dispel some damaging myths about this tragic event.

"I am delighted that Ofcom agrees that we made appropriate and careful judgements in dealing with the sensitivities it involved."

Some 2,000 objections were made about the documentary before it was broadcast, while 3.8 million viewers watched the programme.




VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
Selected reconstruction clips from Channel 4 documentary



SEE ALSO
Diana programme gets 3.8m viewers
07 Jun 07 |  Entertainment

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific