Oasis hit Live Forever has been named the greatest indie anthem by music magazine NME and broadcaster Xfm.
Live Forever was the group's first major hit
The Manchester rockers had five other entries in the 50-strong chart, while both The Libertines and The Smiths managed two songs each in the top 10.
In second place was Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit and Pulp's Common People came in third.
The chart was made up of votes from the public, bands and music professionals collected over the past year.
Current favourites The Arctic Monkey make it into the top ten with I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor.
INDIE ANTHEMS TOP TEN
1. Oasis - Live Forever
2. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
3. Pulp - Common People
4. The Smiths - There is a Light That Never Goes Out
5. The Libertines - Don't Look Back Into The Sun
6. The Libertines - Time For Heroes
7. The Smiths - How Soon is Now?
8. The Stone Roses - I Am the Resurrection
9. The Strokes - Last Nite
10. Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
Live Forever, released in August 1994, was the third single from the Definitely Maybe album and was the first top ten single for the group.
In August 2006, it was named the greatest song of all time in a poll for Q Magazine.
Nirvana's Smells like Teen Spirit - the name is taken from a brand of deodorant - was a hit in the early 90s and helped launch the grunge music scene on to the global market.