Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Entertainment
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
New Music Releases 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Tuesday, 29 February, 2000, 13:18 GMT
Celine sues US tabloid for $20m
Celine Dion with her husband Rene Angelil
Celine Dion with her husband Rene Angelil
Singer Celine Dion is suing a US supermarket tabloid for $20m (12.5m) over a report which claimed she was pregnant with twins.

Dion claims the story in the National Enquirer has caused her great heartache because she has so far tried but been unable to have a child.

"This thing has really upset me," said Dion in a statement read by her lawyer as the suit was filed this week in Los Angeles Superior Court.



Dion: "upset" by pregnancy claims
"Since that story came out, everyone has been congratulating me and I have to keep telling them that it's not true," she said.

"I only wish it was true and I hope and pray that some day it will be," she added.

The mass circulation paper, which specialises in sensational celebrity stories, reported the pregnancy in its 1 February edition.

The cover of the paper featured a photograph of Dion with the headline "Celine - I'm pregnant with twins".

Dion's lawyer Martin Singer said: "Not only is the news false but the weekly gave the impression that Mme. Dion had revealed her pregnancy during an interview which, in fact, never took place".

Dion, from the Canadian province of Quebec, alleges misappropriation of the right of publicity, "false light invasion of privacy", unfair competition and unfair business practices, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

No representatives of the Enquirer, which is based in Santa Monica, California, and Florida could be reached for comment.

Dion, whose hits include My Heart Will Go On from the movie Titanic, recently announced she was taking a two-year break from her career to spend time with her husband Rene Angelil, who has cancer.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

01 Jan 00 |  Entertainment
Celine's New Year farewell
06 Jan 00 |  Entertainment
Celine renews marriage vows
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to other Entertainment stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Entertainment stories