Read top five one-liners
"Do you have a licence for your minkey," said by Sellers as Inspector Clouseau in Pink Panther: The Return of the Pink Panther was voted the sixth favourite.
The oldest quote in the top 10 was uttered by Groucho Marx in the classic 1933 comedy Duck Soup, which came in at number four.
Film critic Bob McCabe said: "It is great to see two British movies are in the top three and well established classics with great lasting power.
"I thought that Kenneth Williams would win as it is a great stand-alone joke, the joke is simple and no build-up to the line is needed. Kenneth Williams' delivery of the line is extremely dramatic, ending in a camp style."
Top five classic one liners
- 1) "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!" - Kenneth Williams (Julius Caesar) Carry On Cleo (1964)
- 2) "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy." - Terry Jones (Brian's Mum) Life Of Brian (1979)
- 3) Robert Hays (Ted Striker): "Surely you can't be serious." Leslie Nielsen (Rumack): "I am serious... and don't call me Shirley." - Airplane (1980)
- 4) "Remember you're fighting for this woman's honour, which is probably more than she ever did." - Groucho Marx (Rufus T Firefly) Duck Soup (1933)
- 5) "Don't knock masturbation, it's sex with someone I love." - Woody Allen, (Alvy Singer) Annie Hall (1977)
Back to top