[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 9 July 2007, 17:47 GMT 18:47 UK
Police shut down Prince concert
Prince
Prince's late-night after-show gigs have become legendary
Pop star Prince has been forced off stage by police during a late-night gig in his home town of Minneapolis.

The musician, 49, was halfway through his set at the legendary First Avenue nightclub when he announced: "The authorities say we gotta go.

"We always listen to the authorities," he added. "I promise I'll be back."

The club, which Prince made famous in his movie Purple Rain, is allowed to stay open until 0300, but the star only took to the stage at 0245 on Sunday.

He had performed hits including I Feel For You and Controversy before police pulled the plug.

Club owner Byron Frank said officers talked to Prince's crew and allowed the singer a little extra time to wind the show down.

"It's very sad they had to do it, because everybody was having such a wonderful time," Mr Frank said.

'Arrogant'

Police sergeant ET Nelson said more than 20 officers had been working overtime to block off streets surrounding the club.

"I think it's very arrogant of him to think he can hold us here like this," he said. "The law is the law for anybody."

Prince had already played two concerts in Minneapolis before his late-night club appearance.

His first performance was at a department store, where he promoted his new cologne with a nine-song, 45-minute set.

CD giveaway

"Minneapolis, I am home," he declared after the opening number. He later played a full concert at the Target Center arena.

The multi-instrumentalist is renowned for his late-night after-show parties, where he performs loose, extended versions of songs from his vast back catalogue.

Prince
Prince will play his first gig at the O2 arena in London on 1 August
He comes to London in August for a 21-night residency at the O2 arena. He releases his new album, Planet Earth, next week.

In the UK, the record is being given away free with The Mail On Sunday newspaper and to fans attending his concerts.

The decision to give the album away with a national newspaper sparked outcry from traditional music retailers, with HMV chief executive Simon Fox calling the move "absolutely nuts".

But on Monday HMV announced it had struck a deal to sell The Mail On Sunday in its stores.

"HMV does not condone covermounts," Mr Fox told trade magazine Music Week.

"We would obviously have wanted to stock the Prince album, but this is not a possibility."

Rival retailer Virgin said it was "stunned" by HMV's turnaround.

"It's not only retailers that suffer; the public will suffer in the long term by restricting choice on the high street," said managing director Simon Douglas.


SEE ALSO
Anger at Prince free CD giveaway
30 Jun 07 |  Entertainment
Prince to play 21 London concerts
08 May 07 |  Entertainment
Prince to play at the Super Bowl
11 Dec 06 |  Entertainment
Prince sets sights on Las Vegas
02 Nov 06 |  Entertainment

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific