[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 16 May 2006, 13:00 GMT 14:00 UK
Barenboim to conduct at La Scala
Daniel Barenboim
Mr Barenboim's predecessor quit after his musicians went on strike
Daniel Barenboim is to become the principal conductor at the world-famous La Scala opera house in Milan.

The 63-year-old is currently musical director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and will oversee two productions a season until 2012.

He said his priority would be "to fight the lack of musical education, which is a real illness in our society".

The Argentine-born Israeli citizen's first performance will be a version of Giuseppe Verdi's Requiem next year.

'Musical kindergarten'

He replaces Riccardo Muti, who resigned after 19 years on the podium at La Scala following a strike by its orchestra and workers over his approach and musical choices.

Mr Barenboim is no stranger to La Scala's orchestra, having conducted Beethoven's Ninth Symphony in the venue's Christmas concert last year.

He said he planned to bring his "musical kindergarten" to Milan, offering children of pre-school age an early musical experience.

Mr Barenboim will retain his post as general musical director at the Staatsoper Unter den Linen in Berlin.


SEE ALSO:
Barenboim hits out at 'sound of Muzak'
07 Apr 06 |  Entertainment
Barenboim released from hospital
31 Jan 06 |  Entertainment
Arab date for mixed orchestra
19 Aug 03 |  Entertainment
Israeli conductor visits West Bank
10 Sep 02 |  Entertainment
Barenboim calls off peace concert
06 Mar 02 |  Entertainment


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific