Dear Oscar, this year I'd like:
A short show so I get SOME sleep - make it entertaining, but don't stretch it longer than it needs. John Stewart's got a great wit, so I doubt it'll be his fault if it runs over.
- Wins for Philip Seymour Hoffman, Reese Witherspoon, Rachel Weisz and Jake Gyllenhaal in the acting categories, Brokeback Mountain for picture and adapted screenplay, Ang Lee for director, Crash for original screenplay.
- It would be amazing if Miyazaki won best animated, but I guess the winner there would be a popular choice anyway.
- Future awards for Clooney, Giamatti and especially Ledger, but not this year
- Some proper Hollywood royalty (not just in the 'In Memoriam' section).
- Jack Nicholson NOT to wear shades inside.
- Interesting presenters that reflect the past year (and don't make them do skits unless they're FUNNY).
- Limited mention of the likes of King Kong and War of the Worlds - concentrate on the quality films that got nominated.
- No tearful speeches, preferably they should be witty and humble
- The next day off work...