[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 5 June, 2005, 10:14 GMT 11:14 UK
Spielberg premiere gets new venue
Steven Spielberg
Spielberg directed the new version of HG Wells' classic
The world premiere of Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds has been moved to a new venue in Tokyo due to security fears.

There were reports the premiere of the Tom Cruise film had been canceled altogether however distributor UIP said that was untrue.

A statement by UIP said the screening on 13 June would now take place at the Virgin Roppongi as it was more central.

Some 7,000 Japanese fans have won seats to attend the premiere.

Safety concerns

The new film, based on the HG Wells classic about a Martian invasion, is to be released worldwide on 29 June.

In a statement released on its website earlier in the week, UIP said: "To our regret, we have decided to cancel the showing because of safety concerns."

It said there were not sufficient measures in place to provide the film's stars with security during their appearance in front of fans.

But in a press release issued on Sunday UIP said: "Paul Takaki, president of UIP Japan, said today that he is extremely proud to be hosting the world premiere and looks forward greatly to welcoming Steven Spielberg, Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning to Japan."


SEE ALSO:
Spielberg voted 'best director'
01 Jun 05 |  Entertainment
Sci-fi shrine honours Spielberg
10 May 05 |  Entertainment
France honours director Spielberg
06 Sep 04 |  Entertainment


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific