Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, September 28, 1999 Published at 10:30 GMT 11:30 UK


Entertainment

Clooney corpse report denied

Clooney, Wahlberg and Ice Cube at the LA premiere of Three Kings

Reports that a real corpse was used during the filming of George Clooney's latest movie, Three Kings, have been strenuously denied.

On Monday, Newsweek magazine ran an interview with the movie's director, David O Russell, in which he stated that a corpse had been used.

The scene in question shows in graphic detail how a bullet penetrates a body.


[ image: Action stations: Wahlberg, Clooney and Ice Cube]
Action stations: Wahlberg, Clooney and Ice Cube
However, it now appears that the director of Spanking the Monkey and Flirting With Disaster was only joking in the interview.

"No cadaver was used," says Warner Bros spokesman Mark Reyna.

He told the New York Daily News: "A prosthetic was used with special effects for the bullet. No corpse was used."

And Russell now admits: "I was fooling around when I said it. I was fooling around in the sense like, 'How do you think I did it?'

"The intention (of the shot) was to make it look like a bullet going through a corpse. It would be unethical to use a corpse like that. To achieve the effect, we had to build a prosthesis."

The Gulf War era film, which also stars Mark Wahlberg and Ice Cube, is about four soldiers who set off at the end of the Gulf War to find a cache of gold Iraq looted from Kuwait.

Three Kings opens in the US on 1 October.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |


Entertainment Contents

Showbiz
Music
Film
Arts
TV and Radio
New Media
Reviews
Internet Links


Newsweek

Three Kings


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.