[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 25 November 2005, 11:35 GMT
Take That confirm a reunion tour
Take That

Boy band Take That have announced that they are to reform for a tour - 10 years after they split up.

At a press conference in London, Gary Barlow, Jason Orange, Mark Owen and Howard Donald said they would go back on tour - but without Robbie Williams.

They will begin an 11-date arena tour of the UK and Ireland in April.

Singer Barlow said: "Thanks for giving us the last 10 years off but the rumours are true. Take That are going back on tour."

The eight venue tour will begin at Newcastle Metro Radio Arena on 24 April and will include two nights at London's Wembley Arena.

Revived interest

Interest in Take That - who split in February 1996 after a career that notched up 10 million album sales - has been revived by a recent ITV documentary and the release of a greatest hits album.

The documentary pulled in nearly six million viewers, while the compilation album charted at number two in the UK, selling 90,000 copies in its first week.

Their 15 UK hits included Relight My Fire, Could It Be Magic and Back For Good.

Robbie Williams
Robbie Williams went from Take That to become a huge solo star
Talking recently about the offer to go back on the road, worth a reported 1.5m to each band member, Barlow said: "Robbie has been included in the offer but I don't know what he thinks.

"But we would do it without him. I think we'd have to.

"Financially it's a very tempting idea and I know a lot of our fans would like it.

"Our live shows were what made Take That great, so if we came back it would have to beat that otherwise I wouldn't want to do it."

Tickets for the tour will go on sale on 2 December.

Solo success

Meanwhile, former member Williams has set a ticket sales world record by selling more than 1.6 million tickets for his 2006 world tour in one day.

The singer, who went on to became a global star after the break-up, has smashed the Guinness World Record for concert ticket sales, previously held by US boy band N'Sync.

They sold one million tickets, valued at $40m (23.4m), for their No Strings Attached US tour in one day five years ago.

Williams's tickets, which were snapped up on the first day of sale on 19 November, are valued at an estimated 80m.

He will take his place in the 2007 edition of the Guinness World Records.


BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
See the group at their London press conference



SEE ALSO:
Take That: The missing years
25 Nov 05 |  Entertainment
Robbie misses Take That reunion
15 Nov 05 |  Entertainment
Robbie tops new millennium list
06 Nov 05 |  Entertainment
Robbie wows fans at preview gig
02 Oct 05 |  Entertainment


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific