Music mogul Simon Fuller's £100m High Court copyright claim against X Factor judge Simon Cowell has been adjourned.
Cowell appeared on Pop Idol and American Idol before X Factor
Mr Fuller claims Mr Cowell's ITV1 show X Factor copies his Pop Idol format.
Mr Fuller's company 19 TV, which created Pop Idol and American Idol, is taking action against FremantleMedia, Cowell and his firms Simco and Syco.
Mr Cowell, who became a household name as a Pop Idol judge in 2001, called the claim "utterly ridiculous". The case is due to resume at a date to be fixed.
As well as claiming breach of copyright, 19 TV is suing for breach of contract because it alleges some of The X Factor's production team also worked on Pop Idol after signing contracts which prevented them from working on rival shows.
Neither Mr Cowell nor Mr Fuller were at London's High Court on Wednesday, when lawyers from both sides addressed the judge before the case was adjourned.
Pop Idol attracted 12 million viewers for the final of its second series in December 2003.
Mr Cowell subsequently became a judge in the show's hit US spin-off, American Idol, which spawned pop star Kelly Clarkson.
Simon Fuller was the man behind the Spice Girls and S Club 7
The X Factor began on ITV in September 2004, and sees pop wannabes face Cowell and fellow judges Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walsh.
The first episode of the second series drew an average of 7.5 million viewers in October this year.
Simon Fuller, who runs management and media company 19, was the man behind successful pop acts such as the Spice Girls and S Club 7 before creating Pop Idol.
X Factor producers are trying to persuade judge Louis Walsh to return to the show, after he walked out following disagreements with his fellow judges.
Sharon Osbourne poured three glasses of water over Walsh during last week's show and Simon Cowell called him an "idiot" in an interview earlier this week.
Louis Walsh manages pop acts Girls Aloud and Westlife
On Wednesday an ITV spokesman said: "We are talking to Louis and we hope we will be able to persuade him to return to the show on Saturday."
In a series of text messages to BBC Radio 1's Newsbeat reporter Dominic Byrne, Walsh said he "did walk" but later added he "hopes to be there on Saturday".