[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 1 February, 2005, 14:38 GMT
Howl helps boost Japan's cinemas
Howl's Moving Castle
Howl's Moving Castle is by the team behind Spirited Away
Japan's box office received a 3.8% boost last year, with ticket sales worth 211bn yen (1.08bn).

The surge was led by animated movie Howl's Moving Castle, which took 20bn yen (102m) to become the biggest film in Japan in 2004.

It is expected to match the 30.7bn yen (157m) record of Hayao Miyazaki's previous film Spirited Away.

Japan Motion Picture Producers figures showed that 170 million cinema admissions were made in Japan in 2004.

The Last Samurai, starring Tom Cruise, was the biggest foreign movie hit in Japan last year, taking 13.8bn yen (70.7m).

2004 BOX OFFICE TAKINGS
The Last Samurai
US 4.99bn ($9.4bn)
Japan 1.08bn (211bn yen)
France 797m (1.15bn euro)
UK 659m
Germany 611m (882m euro)
Source: Screen International
It was followed by Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Finding Nemo and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

The second highest-grossing Japanese film was romantic drama Crying Out Love in the Centre of the World, followed by Be With You and Pocket Monsters Advanced Generation.

Japanese films accounted for 37.5% of Japan's box office total last year, with foreign films taking the remaining 62.5%.

This represented a 4.5% gain for the proportion of Japanese films in 2004 compared to 2003.

The number of Japanese films released rose to 310 in 2004 from 287 the previous year.

Sales of movies on DVD and video amounted to 497bn yen (2.54bn) for the year.


SEE ALSO:
Animation charms Japan box office
23 Nov 04 |  Entertainment
Spirited cartoon is enthralling
22 Sep 03 |  Entertainment
Japan's madness for manga
18 Sep 03 |  Asia-Pacific
Japanese hit cartoon gets US release
19 Apr 02 |  Entertainment
Japanese animation at 'dead end'
19 Feb 02 |  Entertainment


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific