The accident came weeks after reports of suicide attempts
|
Former pop star Brian Harvey has had a throat operation more than a week after being seriously injured under the wheels of his own car.
Harvey had a tracheotomy on Wednesday to help him breathe and drain fluid from his lungs, his manager said.
The former East 17 singer, 30, has been kept unconscious with medication since the accident. But doctors hope to wake him soon, according to Simon Harrison.
Mr Harrison said the tracheotomy was "more precautionary than emergency".
"He's still in intensive care, he's still on a ventilator helping him breathe," he said.
 |
They're keeping him heavily sedated and asleep with medication
|
"It's a very, very slow process. He hasn't moved, he hasn't spoken, and he's been unconscious all this time."
The operation was performed after X-rays showed fluid on his lungs. Doctors are still examining the X-rays for any further injuries.
"They're keeping him heavily sedated and asleep with medication," Mr Harrison added.
But medical staff are expected to try to bring him round. "They did try and do this about a week ago and it made him very violently ill so they put him back under."
Crash mystery
Harvey suffered injuries to his leg, pelvis, abdomen and ribs in the accident in the early hours of 31 May.
Police said he appeared to have been reversing down an access road with the door of his convertible open when he hit another car, was thrown out and crushed.
Press reports said he had attempted suicide twice that month.
Mr Harrison has said Harvey had been depressed but was in a "very good" state of mind immediately before the accident.