Mel Gibson is a conservative Catholic
|
Mel Gibson has taken out a restraining order against a man he says stalked him and demanded they pray together.
The order bars Zack Sinclair from approaching or contacting Gibson, director of The Passion of the Christ.
Homeless Mr Sinclair, 34, was arrested on 20 September on suspicion of disorderly conduct and loitering.
He allegedly twice went to the gate of Gibson's estate and asked to pray with the actor and also sent him letters.
Gibson said Mr Sinclair interrupted his worship at chapel and "demanded that I pray with him" on 19 September. He was then escorted away by the film-maker's bodyguard.
The Passion of the Christ was a personal project for Gibson
|
Mr Sinclair allegedly sent letters to Gibson and his family describing his prayers for the actor, cited biblical verse and praised The Passion of the Christ.
"I continue to be extremely concerned for the safety of my family," Gibson said.
According to letters attached to Gibson's complaint, filed in Los Angeles
Superior Court on September 21, the letters Mr Sinclair allegedly sent were "alarming, harassing and annoying".
Mr Sinclair is currently in jail on $5,000 (£2,700) bail awaiting a court hearing on 6 October.
The Passion of the Christ is Gibson's controversial film depicting in graphic detail the last hours of Jesus.
Gibson co-wrote, directed, produced and financed the movie, a project he had wanted to complete for many years.
Gibson himself is a traditional Catholic - and has previously told interviewers about his opposition to abortion, birth control and divorce.