[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 6 August, 2004, 16:11 GMT 17:11 UK
Evidence 'late' in Jackson case
Michael Jackson
Defence claims prosecutors have been too slow to share evidence
Michael Jackson's lawyer has complained that he has not received lists of items seized during searches carried out as part of the singer's child abuse case.

Defence lawyer Robert Sanger said he had not received copies of several of the 70 search warrants in the case.

He is also awaiting nearly 50 affidavits that accompanied the search warrants, which prosecutors are legally required to provide, he said.

Mr Jackson has pleaded not guilty to 10 child molestation charges.

Public report

The defence team said it had received a list of items seized in only 18 of the searches, adding it had no way of knowing whether the information was complete and accurate.

Mr Sanger made the complaint in a sealed report last week, in anticipation of a case hearing due to be held by telephone on Friday.

Santa Barbara Superior Court Judge Rodney Melville made the report public on Thursday.

The complaint is the latest from the defence team alleging that prosecutors have been too slow to share their evidence against Mr Jackson.

Prosecutors have previously said they had provided information to defence lawyers as quickly as possible.

Mr Jackson's trial is due to begin at the end of January next year.


Michael Jackson on trial

Michael Jackson Jackson show
How the star's style has changed during lengthy trial

LATEST NEWS

REPORTERS' LOGS
 

AT A GLANCE
 

PROFILES
 

CASE TIMELINE

VIDEO AND AUDIO



PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific