Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Entertainment: News In Brief


Friday, May 7, 1999 Published at 10:55 GMT 11:55 UK

Jury awards Priscilla Presley $1.7m

Priscilla Presley, the one-time wife of the King of rock'n'roll, has been awarded $1.74m (£1.1m) in damages in a court case to protect her name.

The damages were awarded against film producers and publicists who used her name to promote a proposed film based on an unauthorised biography.

"I have always done everything in my power to protect my name, and I am willing to continue to do so in the future," Miss Presley, 53, said.

Children's show rapped for sexual content


Children's show rapped for sexual content

A TV watchdog has issued a formal warning to ITV over sexual references in the childrens' shows SM:TV Live and CD:UK.

The complaints stemmed from a saucy poem read out by presenter Anthony McPartlin (Ant) , a pop video that featured bondage and a live song by the band Touch and Go which included the line "Would you go to bed with me?"

McPartlin and co-presenter Declan Donnelly (Dec) have been in trouble in the past.

In their BBC One childrens' show there were a number of complaints after they made suggestive comments about Blue Peter presenter Katy Hill.


Wynette widower dropped from lawsuit

The daughters of country singing legend Tammy Wynette have dropped a lawsuit against her widower George Richey for contributing to her death.

"Today, my nightmare has ended," Richey said. The four daughters gave no reason for their decision, but are still suing the late singer's doctor for $31m.

They claim their mother's health wasn't monitored closely enough, and that she was given too many painkillers before her death on 6 April, 1998. Wynette would have turned 57 this week.


Bassey to head 'wicked women' line-up

Shirley Bassey has been confirmed as heading the line-up for the Wicked Women fundraising concert to take place in London's Hyde Park this summer.

Lisa Stansfield, Catatonia and US singer Jewel will also perform at the event on Saturday, 24 July, to benefit the Breakthrough Breast Cancer charity.

The show, which is a follow-up to the release of the Wicked Women CD last year is being directed by former Ultravox star Midge Ure.

Wicked Women is a music industry campaign targeting 18 to 34-year-olds in a bid to raise awareness of how they can reduce the risks of cancer.


Robbie's Dad 'heading for Hollywood'

Pete Conway, father of Robbie Williams, has agreed to star in a Hollywood film set in Barnet, London, according to local newspaper reports.

The Press paper quotes entertainer Conway as saying: "I have never done any acting before and I'm really looking forward to being on film."

The film, Addict, is to be based on a book by London-based Stephen Smith. Producer Gary Kurtz of Star Wars fame is hoping Conway will persuade his son to join him in the movie.


Jeff Beck to play Woodstock 30 years on

Guitar legend Jeff Beck is set to play the Woodstock Festival 30 years after he was originally due to perform.

The star was first due to play the legendary US festival in 1969, but his Jeff Beck Band split up a week before.

The British guitarist, now 50, replaced Eric Clapton in the Yardbirds in 1965 before embarking on a long career fronting his own band.

Other acts on the bill include Fat Boy Slim and the Chemical Brothers.


Curry considers return to the stage

After five failed TV pilots, Rocky Horror Show star Tim Curry is considering returning to the stage.

"It's been five or six years since I've done theatre and I'm worried that if I wait too long I'll lose my nerve," says Curry, who starred in the stage and film versions of the cult show.

But first, he's waiting to hear if his latest TV pilot, The Unbelievables, will become a series. So far, he's only had one series on the air, a comedy with Annie Potts called Over the Top.


Chris Carter's 'Millennium' a flop

X-Files creator Chris Carter's series Millennium, could be in big trouble.

The dark drama, which stars Lance Henrikson as an ex-FBI agent, has been struggling in the US ratings.

Writers have tried to incorporate some of the X-Files success formula, teaming the hero with a sexy and sceptical partner, but it has not worked.

While Carter says the show, taken off air in the US for the summer, can "make a comeback", industry insiders claim Millennium "is history".



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


Entertainment Contents

Showbiz
Music
Film
Arts
TV and Radio
New Media
Reviews

Relevant Stories

07 Apr 98 | Americas
Country music's First Lady is dead





Internet Links


Tammy Wynette

Breakthrough Breast Cancer

Woodstock


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.