Spider-Man actor Tobey Maguire has said the forthcoming sequel is "better" than the original.
Maguire said filming for the new Spider-Man movie was two-thirds finished
"I'm really happy with it ... It's going to be better than the first one. The story is a lot better," he said Thursday during a press conference for his new film Seabiscuit in Los Angeles.
Maguire, who shot to fame last year playing the superhero, said filming on the sequel was about two-thirds complete.
The new film has Maguire's character, Peter Parker, enrolling as a university student. But two new villains, Dr Octopus and the Lizard, are bent on his destruction. The new film is due to be released in June 2004.
The first Spider-Man, which also starred Kirsten Dunst and Willem Dafoe as the evil Green Goblin, has taken over $808m (£498m) around the world so far. In its first week in the US it made over £114m (£71.2m), a record at the time.
Earlier this year, rumours abounded that Maguire had been ruled out of the Spider-Man sequel because he had injured his back playing Johnny "Red" Pollard, the man who rode the famous 1930s racehorse Seabiscuit.
"It's not true that I was fired," the 28-year-old actor said, saying the back problem had been an ongoing ailment, and not a result of shooting Seabiscuit.
He said filming the Spider-Man sequel had been strenuous, and he had questioned himself over whether he was going to be fit enough to film it.