Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, January 6, 1999 Published at 17:56 GMT


Entertainment

No Star Wars sequels, says Lucas

Star Wars: Only three more to come

The force may be with Luke Skywalker, but George Lucas says his is running out.


[ image: C-3PO: Star of the original film]
C-3PO: Star of the original film
The creator of the Star Wars series has told Vanity Fair magazine he plans to call it quits after the much-anticipated three-part prequel to his blockbuster space trilogy.

It had been believed that the complete Star Wars saga would run to nine parts.

"I never had a story for the sequels, for the later ones," he told the magazine. "And also, I'll be to a point in my age where to do another trilogy would take 10 years."

Lucas, 55, said in the February issue of Vanity Fair that he would "probably not" be open to letting anyone else make Star Wars movies.

Inside secrets


[ image: Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson star in the latest film]
Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson star in the latest film
Mr Lucas has also revealed some aspects of the plot that will be of interest to fans eagerly awaiting the film - previously they had been a closely guarded secret.

He said the Phantom Menace in the title refers to two new characters who are the embodiment of evil: Darth Sidius and his apprentice, Darth Mau. The latter goes up against Ewan McGregor's Ben Kenobi in a fierce battle.

Details of the scrolling introduction at the beginning of the film have also been revealed - this time by the website Aint-it-cool-news. The text is reported to begin "Turmoil has engulfed the Galactic Republic.The Taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute... "

But fans will have to wait until 21 May, when the movie is released in America, to find out what happens after the title sequence.

Episodes II and III are planned for the years 2002 and 2005.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


Entertainment Contents

Showbiz
Music
Film
Arts
TV and Radio
New Media
Reviews

Relevant Stories

16 Dec 98 | Entertainment
The Force is back - for two minutes





Internet Links


Vanity Fair

Star Wars

Aint-it-cool-news


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.