BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  Entertainment: Film
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Showbiz 
Music 
Film 
Arts 
TV and Radio 
New Media 
Reviews 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 7 May, 2002, 10:31 GMT 11:31 UK
McGregor tips latest Star Wars film
Ewan McGregor
Ewan McGregor plays Obi Wan Kenobi again
Ewan McGregor has said Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones is not as "flat" as its predecessor but admitted he thinks the title is "terrible".

The Scottish star - who plays Obi Wan Kenobi - says the action sequences and battle scenes of the new film are an improvement on the Phantom Menace.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Episode I was seen by many as a disappointment
Episode II will hit cinemas in many countries after a huge promotional drive on the morning of Thursday 16 May.

McGregor told BBC News the new film was "much more reminiscent of Empire Strikes Back".

He explained why he thought the most recent Star Wars film, The Phantom Menace, was not as well-received as had been hoped.

"We were setting up a lot of stuff in Episode I so it was flatter than this one," he said.

Star Wars
The Original Star Wars was released in 1977
But he conceded he still had strong reservations over the choice of title for Episode II.

"I heard it was called Attack of the Clones when I was doing a press line in the states and they'd forgotten to tell me that they were going to call it that," he said.

Fanatics queuing

"Someone went 'what do you think of attack of the clones?' And I said 'I don't know - what is that?'

"They thought I was joking, told me it was the title for Episode II and I thought 'it's terrible'."

Star Wars queue
Some fans will have been queuing for four months
Hundreds of fanatics are already queuing outside cinemas in Seattle, Los Angeles and Utah.

After the $920m (£628m) success of the Phantom Menace, mastermind George Lucas will be hoping for a repeat in the film's financial success, as well as a warmer critical reception.

In the past, McGregor has said he found filming for meticulous director George Lucas "boring", adding that Episode II had "much more humour" and "much more colour".

Even Lucas recently admitted the first Star Wars prequel was a disappointment.

In a discussion of the huge marketing operation that accompanied the film, the director's company Lucasfilm said: "The last movie did not live up to expectations."

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
John Challenger, Challenger Gray and Christmas
"It really could be a major productivity outage"
See also:

22 Mar 02 | New Media
Star Wars fans flock online
20 Jul 99 | Entertainment
Star Wars sets UK record
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Film stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Film stories