BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: Entertainment: Showbiz
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Showbiz 
Music 
Film 
Arts 
TV and Radio 
New Media 
Reviews 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 29 November, 2001, 17:31 GMT
Grant denies godfather role
Grant is keen to get behind the camera
Grant is keen to get behind the camera
Actor Hugh Grant has denied he is to become a godfather to his ex-girlfriend Liz Hurley's baby.

Grant, who was attending a screen writers' awards ceremony in London on Wednesday, was asked whether he would be a surrogate father for the child.

He said: "Absolutely not. I find that a slightly patronising invention. I'm not being a godfather."

Hurley, 36, is expecting her first baby in April with former boyfriend, movie producer Stephen Bing.

Grant said he had seen Hurley on a recent visit to Los Angeles.

"She seemed fine, very well," he said.

Liz Hurley and Hugh Grant
Hurley and Grant dominated the gossip columns before their split

The former Estée Lauder model and Grant split in May 2000.

Their separation shocked the entertainment world but the pair have remained friends and still jointly run their Simian Films production company.

Grant was among a host of celebrities attending the annual Oscar Moore Screenwriting Prize ceremony in Leicester Square.

Directing

He said he was keen on moving behind the camera to direct.

"I've spent quite a long time acting now and I'm not giving it up, just broadening my horizons," said Grant.

"I'm writing a short film, but I don't really want to act in it. I'd rather direct it, that's how I feel at this stage in my life."

Grant also confirmed that he will be starring alongside Sandra Bullock in a romantic comedy next year.

Also at the ceremony was Academy Award winning director Anthony Minghella.

Minghella may work with Tom Cruise
Minghella may work with Tom Cruise

The man behind The English Patient and The Talented Mr Ripley said he is currently working on an adaptation of Homer's Odyssey.

Minghella said Tom Cruise had expressed interest in starring in the film, but nothing had been finalised yet.

The director said he was hoping to move away from adapting books.

"I somehow got diverted into adapting. I now want a decade of writing original work because adapting takes too long."

The ceremony at Leicester Square honoured new European screenwriting talent.

Marcus Lloyd scooped the main prize, winning the £10,000 prize for his dark thriller Cuckoo.

See also:

09 Nov 01 | Showbiz
Grant visits pregnant Hurley
08 Nov 01 | Showbiz
Liz Hurley expecting baby
18 Dec 00 | Entertainment
Hurley fined for strike-breaking ad
17 Oct 00 | Entertainment
Hurley sorry for breaking strike
13 Sep 00 | Entertainment
Magazine says sorry to Hurley
24 May 00 | Entertainment
The golden couple lose their shine
28 Jun 00 | Entertainment
Hurley breaks split silence
Links to more Showbiz stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Showbiz stories