BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: Entertainment: Film
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Showbiz 
Music 
Film 
Arts 
TV and Radio 
New Media 
Reviews 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 8 October, 2001, 14:11 GMT 15:11 UK
Hollywood re-think expensive
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Schwarzenegger's new film cost some $80m (54m)
Hollywood's re-think of its release schedule after the 11 September attacks on the US may cost two major studios more than $200m (135m), according to The Times.

Walt Disney is to cancel the release of Big Trouble, due for release on 21 September and Bad Company, scheduled for Christmas Day opening.

Warner Bros has cancelled the Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle Collateral Damage, which had been set for release on 5 October.

While the films are on hold they cannot recoup any of their costs - and, depending on world events and public perception in the US, they may never be released at all.

Insensitive

The movies are reported to have cost the two studios more than $200m to produce and market, with Collateral Damage alone accounting for some $80m (54m).

All three films concerned have themes deemed insensitive in the light of recent events - even though the Disney films are comedies.

Disney logo
Disney and Warner are two of Hollysood's biggest studios
Big Trouble tells the story of some Miami lowlifes - but hinges on a scene with a bomb in a suitcase on an aeroplane.

In Bad Company Chris Rock plays the nave twin brother of a CIA agent killed during an operation - but the plot involves a bomb threat in Manhattan.

Collateral Damage stars Arnold Schwarzenegger as a man who sees his family killed by a bomb planted in a Los Angeles skyscraper.

Violent themes

But some analysts believe that such sensitivity is a temporary measure.

Recently US box office analyst Paul Dergarabedian said that he expected the effect of September's attacks to wear off on the film-going public.

Mr Dergarabedian added that he also expected the release of stronger films, including ones containing violent themes.

"People find their release in all kinds of movies," he said.

"We don't have to spoon-feed them light-hearted movies for the next 10 years."

See also:

01 Oct 01 | Film
Audiences return to US cinemas
24 Sep 01 | Film
Films slump in US
12 Sep 01 | Film
Bomb blast movie pulled
13 Sep 01 | Film
Hollywood 'changed forever'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Film stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Film stories