BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: Entertainment: Music
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Showbiz 
Music 
Film 
Arts 
TV and Radio 
New Media 
Reviews 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 5 October, 2001, 11:17 GMT 12:17 UK
More stars for McCartney concert
Paul McCartney
McCartney's concert will see a rare reunion with Ringo Starr
Sir Paul McCartney's benefit concert for the victims of the 11 September attacks on the US is set to be one of the most star-studded spectaculars in years.

Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton and Puerto Rican pop star Marc Anthony have announced they will be part of the bill for the New York event, which takes place on 20 October.


"Slowhand" Clapton has said he will take part
Already scheduled to appear are The Who, Bon Jovi, James Taylor, New York native Billy Joel - and McCartney's old Beatle bandmate Ringo Starr.

The concert will take place at New York's Madison Square Gardens.

McCartney cancelled a concert in Russia after the attacks on the US, saying it no longer "seemed appropriate" to play there.

'Tragedy'

In a statement, he said: "I'm doing this benefit concert because, in short, I love New York.

Mick Jagger
Mick Jagger will sing on 20 October
"I was there when the tragedy occurred and I witnessed the last moments of the World Trade Center."

Referring to his fiancée Heather Mills, McCartney added: "Heather and I were sitting on a plane at the airport, waiting to take off.

"Suddenly the captain announced that all the planes had been grounded.

"From our side of the plane we could see the towers smoking and in flames - we couldn't believe what had happened."

Ringo Starr
Ringo's association with McCartney goes back to 1962
Other musicians set to appear at the concert include John Mellencamp, Melissa Etheridge and India Arie as well as actors Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Carrey, Chris Rock, Gwyneth Paltrow, Meg Ryan and John Cusack.

Concert organizers have also invited some 5,000 members of the New York fire, police, and rescue crews to see the show.

The four-hour spectaular will be broadcast live on US cable TV channel VH1.

But although the stars' efforts are appreciated on stage, New York City officials have asked celebrities not to visit the site of the collapsed World Trade Center, now known as "ground zero".

Recent visitors have included Muhammad Ali, James Gandolfini and Bette Midler - but their presence has been distracting and hindered work on the site, say officials.

See also:

03 Oct 01 | Showbiz
Broadway shows recovery signs
02 Oct 01 | Showbiz
Beauty threatened with closure
25 Sep 01 | TV and Radio
All-star telethon raises $150m
22 Sep 01 | Reviews
'A prayer for our fallen'
13 Sep 01 | Film
Hollywood 'changed forever'
12 Sep 01 | Film
Bomb blast movie pulled
17 Sep 01 | Film
US box office rallies
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Music stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Music stories