BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  Entertainment: Music
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Showbiz 
Music 
Film 
Arts 
TV and Radio 
New Media 
Reviews 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 7 September, 2001, 09:55 GMT 10:55 UK
Protests continue over Latin Grammys
Carlos Santana with Mana's Alex Alvarez
Carlos Santana topped last year's Latin Grammys
Protesters have vowed to stage demonstrations at the Latin Grammy Awards at the show's new venue in Los Angeles.

Organisers moved the show from Miami last month, fearing it would be overshadowed by the Cuban-American protesters.

But the Los Angeles Cuban American community have stepped in to continue protests.

Gloria and Emilio Estefan
The Estefans are not expected to attend the LA ceremony
The anger at Cuban artists attending the show is just as strong among the hard-line anti-communist Cuban American groups in Los Angeles, as in Miami.

Ceremony

Among those nominated for awards are Christina Aguilera, Ricky Martin and Juanes.

Top Latin American music stars Gloria and Emilio Estefan have reportedly said they will not attend the ceremony after it was moved from Miami.

Gloria Estefan presented awards and performed at last year's show.

Juan Vila, spokesman for Junta Patriotica Cubana, a national Cuban American organization, said: "We sincerely regret the Latin Grammy awards ceremony has become an instrument for the benefit of the Castro-communist regime in Cuba."

Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera has received two nominations

In a letter to Latin Grammys chief Michael Greene, the group claimed profits from the sale of records by Cuban government sympathisers went towards continued the slavery of the Cuban people.

The rally organisers are already talking with the police in Los Angeles, who expect things to be under control.

Sparks

LA Cuban American leaders have said there will be hundreds rather than thousands demonstrating outside the ceremony.

Police officers said they had a "game plan" in case trouble erupted.

Mr Vila warned sparks could fly if expected hard-line Castro supporters turned out at the venue on the night.

The last-minute move of the show from Miami came after Academy bosses learnt that about 100 anti-Fidel Catro groups were given permission to protest.

Michael Greene was not available to comment on the latest announcement by protesters.

Earlier he has tried to distance the awards from the anti-Castro protests.

"While we support everyone's right to express individual views, our mission is to celebrate excellence in all recorded Latin music, regardless of who produces it.," he said.

An estimated $35m (22.6m) was expected to flood into the Miami economy through hosting the ceremony, the second Latin Grammys to be held.

Cuban artists and bands nominated for for Latin Grammy awards are planning to attend the September 11 gala.

They include jazz pianist Chucho Valdes, pop artist Andres Alen and salsa singer Isaac Delgado.

See also:

24 Feb 00 | Entertainment
Santana's Grammy glory
01 Jun 00 | Entertainment
Latin legend Puente dies
12 Jul 99 | Entertainment
Going 'loco' for Ricky
18 Jan 00 | Entertainment
Awards joy for Santana
18 Jul 01 | Music
Juanes tops Latin Grammys list
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Music stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Music stories