BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Entertainment: Film
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Showbiz 
Music 
Film 
Arts 
TV and Radio 
New Media 
Reviews 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 27 June, 2001, 11:04 GMT 12:04 UK
Strike-breakers barred from union
Picketing actors
Liz Hurley angered striking actors
The Screen Actors Guild (SAG) is continuing to crack down on those seeking membership who stand accused of strike-breaking.

Last year's strike against the advertising industry saw the union boycott any commercial work by its members.

SAG warned non-members that if they took part in adverts their future eligibility would be jeopardised.


It is our intention to provide member benefits only to those performers who stood in solidarity with the Guild during last year's work stoppage

Greg Krizman, SAG spokesman
Actress Liz Hurley was heavily criticised for an Estée Lauder photo shoot she undertook in the middle of the strike.

So far the SAG Hollywood Member Application Review Committee has heard 63 cases, of which 39 have been found to have "wilfully participated" in off limits work.

They have been banned from SAG membership for periods ranging from six months to five years.

Membership of SAG gives pension and sickness benefits as well as representation in pay negotiations.

It is currently in talks with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers over a new contract.

Tom Hanks
Tom Hanks came out in support of strike

The deadline for an agreement in 30 July.

Strikes were threatened at the beginning of the negotiations but these fears have since faded.

Pay-per-view

Last summer's strike saw actors demanding to be paid on a pay-per-view basis for all their work.

Advertisers wanted them to agree to flat-rate payments.

The strike was eventually settled after six months - making it the longest strike in acting history.

Advertisers agreed to retain the existing system for network TV - which rewards actors each time their ad is shown - but insisted on an increased flat-rate pay structure for cable and the internet.

The review committee has been sitting almost weekly since February and is expected to continue screening applicants for the rest of the year.

SAG said the work reviews are carried out because of information received during or since the strike or by candidates disclosing the information themselves.

Spokesman Greg Krizman said: "The process of screening applicants for SAG membership against the more than 1,500 records of actors who allegedly performed struck work continues because it is our intention to provide member benefits only to those performers who stood in solidarity with the Guild during last year's work stoppage."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

08 May 01 | Film
Actors set strike talks date
14 Sep 00 | Entertainment
Strikers attract star support
19 Jun 01 | Film
Actors' strike threat fades
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Film stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Film stories