Wednesday, June 24, 1998 Published at 10:46 GMT 11:46 UK
McCartney aide denies Yoko snub
Yoko Ono - said to be "saddened"
Sir Paul McCartney's aide has denied reports that the widow of John Lennon, Yoko Ono, was snubbed by not being invited to the New York memorial service for Linda McCartney.
Yoko Ono's assistant told the New York Post that she had been "saddened" by not being invited to the service.
The gathering of 300 at the Harlem Riverside Church, which included Paul Simon, Chrissie Hynde, Twiggy and Ralph Lauren, was, "for family and close friends", the aide said.
Yoko Ono and her son Sean sent flowers to the service. Her assistant had told the newspaper that there had been good relations with the McCartney family over the years, and he knew of no reason why Yoko Ono should not have been invited.
Last month, Yoko Ono wrote a tribute to Linda McCartney as a letter to Rolling Stone magazine.
She said, "When she was strong, I felt strong. She took a sad song and made it better."
She also spoke of the rift between John Lennon and Paul McCartney and the breakup of the Beatles.
"The world blamed it on Linda and me," she said.
TV and Radio