Page last updated at 15:26 GMT, Friday, 16 October 2009 16:26 UK
How to cope with financial difficulties

Lots of advice is available for coping with your personal finances

If you have worked continuously for the same employer for two years or more, you are likely to be entitled to statutory redundancy pay.

The first £30,000 of redundancy pay is tax-free but the rest, including unpaid wages and bonuses, may be taxed.

Check out what happens when your employer goes into administration.

There are also complicated rules for employers on income tax surrounding redundancy payments.

If you are being made redundant, there are tips on negotiating redundancy payments available from the TUC.

Employers can read this guide on the tax pitfalls of redundancy.

There is advice and training available from the conciliation service Acas.

Those in Northern Ireland can get free advice on employment rights from the Labour Relations Agency .

And if you are given notice of redundancy, you are entitled to some paid time off to look for a new job - provided that, by the time your period of notice ends, you have been with the employer for two years.

You can keep up-to-date with the latest news and guides on life at work by looking at the BBC News website's dedicated section to employment issues. There is also a special report about women in the workplace .

Print Sponsor

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific