[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 10 October 2006, 08:44 GMT 09:44 UK
Motorola in India contract battle
Girls using mobile phones in India
India is the world's fastest growing mobile market
Motorola has launched a legal challenge after its tender for a $6.6bn (3.5bn) contract in India was rejected.

Indian state telecom group BSNL said both Motorola and Chinese firm ZTE were disqualified on technical grounds from the bid to lay infrastructure.

The US firm said it had been in talks with BSNL but had not been given an explanation for its bid being dropped.

It is now going to Delhi High Court seeking "clarification and transparency" over the tender process.

Nokia, Siemens and Ericsson are all in the running for the contract to lay 62 million GSM lines and supply 3G equipment.

BSNL is the only firm to offer landline and mobile services across all states and territories in India.

In June, Motorola announced plans to build a $100m handset factory in the southern Indian city of Madras (Chennai).




SEE ALSO
Motorola to invest $100m in India
07 Jun 06 |  Business
India widens access to telecoms
02 Feb 05 |  Business
Mobile phones take over in India
09 Nov 04 |  Business

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific