Australian construction firm Multiplex has said it will pursue damages from UK steel firm Cleveland Bridge for walking off the Wembley Stadium project.
Wembley will not be ready until September 2006 at the earliest
The High Court in London has said the steel company was in breach of contract but that neither side had won total victory in lawsuits against each other.
The judge urged the two sides to negotiate a financial settlement.
But on Tuesday Multiplex said it "will now pursue damages and other remedies" against Cleveland Bridge.
It added: "Unless previously agreed between the parties, these sums will be determined by the court. It is anticipated that the relevant court hearing will be in January 2007."
In a complex series of findings, Judge Rupert Jackson found in favour of Cleveland in some respects but Multiplex won on the major issue of breach of contract.
The judge, in the Technology and Construction Court in London, made a series of preliminary rulings designed to "break the deadlock" in a complex dispute.
Cleveland Bridge, the firm behind the iconic steel arch, left the project in August 2004 citing breach of contract by Multiplex. It was seeking £22.6m in damages for lost earnings.
Multiplex, which partly blamed its former partner for delays to the 90,000-seat stadium, was attempting to sue Cleveland for up to £45m.
The hearing on Monday was adjourned to allow the judge to hear any application by Cleveland Bridge for leave to appeal.
The £757m stadium should have been ready in August 2005 but is not likely to be finished until this September at the earliest.