A US company will try to block the controversial £3.9bn ($6.8bn) takeover of shipping giant P&O by a Dubai firm in the High Court in London on Monday.
Dubai Ports will be taking control of six US ports
Miami-based Eller & Co has lodged a petition arguing the purchase by Dubai Ports World may harm its interests.
Dubai Ports World (DPW) has meanwhile agreed to a 45-day review of the security implications of the deal in an effort to assuage US concerns.
The company said it was surprised by the outcry over the bid.
Many US lawmakers believe the deal could threaten US national security.
Republican and Democrat politicians have criticised the transaction, which would hand control of 21 US ports to the United Arab Emirates firm, claiming it would make the country more vulnerable to terrorism.
Despite granting additional time for the security aspects of the deal to be scrutinised, DPW said it was determined to proceed with the acqusition.
"We consider our company to be a friend of the United States," Michael Moore, a company executive, told BBC Five Live.
"We are simply trying to be helpful," he said of the 45-day review.
"It is clear that the nature of who we are, our operations and responsibilities is clearly being misunderstood."
The company had already agreed not to take over the management of the US ports until security issues had been fully addressed.
However, this has not deterred critics of the deal.
New Jersey officials are taking legal action to try and block the deal, while the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is seeking to annul P&O's 30-year operating licence, claiming it failed to seek permission for the transfer of ownership.
US PORTS OWNED BY P&O
New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami, Philadelphia
The deal had been expected to be formally sanctioned in a hearing in the High Court on Monday.
However, a judge is now expected to hear Eller & Co's petition to have the deal blocked, made late on Friday evening.
Eller, which provides stevedoring services at the port of Miami, is expected to argue that the deal could be revoked in the US and that it breaches contractual agreements it has with P&O.
"There is a real prospect that the arrangement will lead to US port authorities revoking licences and leases held by joint venture companies which will cause severe financial losses," its petition states.
Dubai Ports World said it was "fully committed" to the deal, which would make it the world's third largest port operator.
The Bush administration is backing the takeover, arguing that it poses no threat to US security interests.
However, it has supported plans to allow more time for Congress to be briefed on the details of the transaction.