A limited trade deal has been reached in Hong Kong after developing countries approved a European Union offer to end farm export subsidies by 2013.
India and Brazil welcomed the deal - ratified after six days of talks - which will end subsidies by 2013, while the EU said it was "acceptable".
EU TRADE COMMISSIONER PETER MANDELSON
"In a week of disappointments, it (the agreement) is no small prize. It is not enough to make this meeting a true success but it is enough to save it from failure."
UK TRADE AND INDUSTRY SECRETARY ALAN JOHNSON
"We live to fight another day - we live with a text that India have signed up to, Brazil have signed up to, poorer countries have signed up to, to keep this process going into 2006 which was always going to be the concluding year and we are determined to work twice as hard.
"It's not as much progress as we want and no one should be saying this is in any way a success. But it wasn't a failure because we did manage to get a development package together and we did manage to get a commitment and end date to the end of export subsidies and that's very important.
"In the end the EU signed up to something that was difficult for many of them on export subsides. They are determined that this will be a successful round but the EU shouldn't be painted as the pantomime villain of all this.
"It's also really disappointing that the US refused to give 100% access to their market to least developed countries. They've insisted on 97% with the other 3% to be included at some undetermined date in the future.
"Now that's really disappointing. I really hope we can improve on that next year."
LIBERAL DEMOCRAT TRADE SPOKESMAN NORMAN LAMB
"This marks only a tiny step in the right direction. We need to do more than tip toe towards global free and fair trade. The timescale for the scrapping of subsidies in 2013 is too far off.
"Protectionism in the USA and the EU remains an enormous barrier to the growth and prosperity of the developing world."
CHRISTIAN AID HEAD OF TRADE POLICY CLAIRE MELAMED
"The extraordinary intransigence of rich countries is making the WTO an increasingly irrelevant organisation.
"Cancun crashed and now Hong Kong has failed because of the EU's arrogance."
OXFAM SPOKESMAN PHIL BLOOMER
"This is a profoundly disappointing text and a betrayal of development promises.
"Rich country interests have prevailed yet again and poor countries have had
to fight a rearguard action simply to keep some of their issues on the table.
"Small progress in agriculture is more than cancelled out by extremely
damaging agreements on services and industry."
WORLD DEVELOPMENT MOVEMENT HEAD OF POLICY PETER HARDSTAFF
"Setting a date of 2013 to end export subsidies is a symbolic gesture of marginal benefit, made ten years late.
"The gains pall into insignificance compared to the damage that will be done to developing countries by the radical cuts in industrial tariffs and services liberalization demanded in return."
BRAZILIAN FOREIGN MINISTER CELSO AMORIM
"This was a modest but not insignificant deal which could be a driving force to make real cuts in agricultural subsidies."
INDIAN TRADE MINISTER KAMAL NATH
"The iniquities of the global trading system are being addressed."
AUSTRALIAN TRADE MINISTER MARK VAILE
"After 50 years, this text commits to an end date for the elimination of export subsidies - something that Australia has been pursuing as a member of the GATT (General
Agreement on Tariffs and Trade) and then of course the WTO."
ARGENTINE TRADE MINISTER ALFREDO CHIARADIA
"I think the EU owes one to the developing countries. We showed a real will to negotiate and we didn't feel it was the same from the other side."
DEPUTY US TRADE REPRESENTATIVE SUSAN SCHWAB
We have laid the platform for what could be a highly successful trade round.
WTO DIRECTOR GENERAL PASCAL LAMY
"To delegates: You put the round (of negotiations) back on track. You gave it a new sense of urgency.
"What you all take back from Hong Kong is a new political energy, a potent fuel to reach cruising speed during 2006. It is not a perfect balance. But, as they say, the perfect
is the enemy of the good."
INTERNATIONAL CONFEDERATION OF FREE TRADE UNIONS GENERAL SECRETARY GUY RYDER
"Despite the unprecedented unity of developing countries, despite millions of people calling on them to deliver trade justice, despite the very recent crisis in world textiles trade, the industrialised countries have manipulated their way to a deal that betrays development and yet again does not address the key issues of decent work."