Page last updated at 10:37 GMT, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 11:37 UK

Bangkok protests day-by-day

Red-shirt protesters in Bangkok, Thailand (16 May 2010)
The red-shirts are demanding the dissolution of the government

Leaders of anti-government protests in Bangkok have surrendered and told supporters to end their rally. Their decision came after troops entered the protest area, storming their barricades in armoured cars. But unrest is continuing, with some protesters refusing to abandon their fight.

The clashes are part of a two-month stand-off between "red-shirt" protesters and the government.

Here is an account of the key developments as they happened.


Leaders of anti-government protests surrender to troops and tell supporters to end their rally. Their decision comes after troops enter the protest area, storming their barricades in armoured cars. At least five people are killed in gun battles, bringing the toll from the protests to more than 40.

Some of the protesters say they will fight on. Fires and clashes continue to be reported in parts of the Thai capital. A major shopping complex is said to be on fire.

Protesters set the offices of a TV station, Channel 3, on fire, reportedly trapping 100 employees. The government orders TV stations to only broadcast government-sanctioned programmes. It also orders an overnight curfew.


Red-shirt leaders say they accept an offer of Senate-mediated talks, but the government later rejects the same offer, saying protesters must leave their rally site before any negotiations can take place.

Sporadic clashes are reported in Bangkok but correspondents say they seem to be less intense.


Renegade general Seh Daeng dies after being in a coma in intensive care since Thursday.

Khattiya Sawasdipol 13.5.10

On television and in announcements over loud speakers, officials say the protest camp area is no longer safe and warn protesters to leave by 1500 (0800 GMT) or risk a jail sentence. The deadline passes unobserved.

Guests are evacuated from luxury hotels in the conflict zone - some of them are local residents who have already had to flee their homes.

The government continues to insist it is targeting "terrorists" within the red-shirt group, rather than civilians.

There are reports of the unrest spreading outside the capital despite the state of emergency now in place in 22 provinces.

A military bus is set on fire in the northern city of Chiang Mai and demonstrations are held in at least two other town in the north - a stronghold of anti-government sentiment.

The death toll rises to 37. It includes a soldier is killed - the first to die since the clashes erupted on Thursday.

Late in the day, the UN urges troops and protesters to "step back from the brink" and begin talks.


The red-shirt leaders say they are prepared to negotiate with the government if it withdraws troops and agrees to enter UN-mediated talks to end the crisis.

I am really scared now

John Taylor, Bangkok

The government rejects the idea, saying Thailand can solve its own problems and that military intervention is the only solution after months of negotiations failed.

A state of emergency is extended to 20 provinces in the country, in an attempt to prevent more anti-government supporters coming to the capital.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva declares Monday and Tuesday public holidays and delays the start of the school term, as thousands of businesses remain closed.

The death toll rises to at least 31 people. Officials ask the Red Cross to help evacuate women, children and the elderly from within the red-shirt camp.

Protester runs from gunfire in Bangkok, Thailand (15 May 2010)
A third of Bangkok is placed under emergency rule

Mr Abhisit vows to "push forward" with the operation to end the protests, saying doing so is in the best interests of the Thai people.

The death toll rises to 24 - all civilians. A third of the city is under emergency rule.

The military designates an area of Bangkok a "live firing zone" in an attempt to discourage protesters, and says the number of red-shirts still entrenched has halved to about 5,000.

Many of the women, children and elderly among the red-shirts are reported to have been evacuated.


At least eight protesters die in a day of escalating violence. More than 100 people, including at least three journalists, are injured.

Soldiers firing in Bangkok, Thailand (14 May 2010)

Water and power supplies to the red-shirts' camp are shut off. Several thousand soldiers are on the streets of the capital.

The red-shirts continue to build up their fortifications, hurling rocks and fireworks towards the troops and apparently taunting them to come closer.

Protesters set up road blocks - in one case using a burning bus. Troops respond with rubber bullets, live fire and tear gas.

Many foreign embassies are closed and the British ambassador warns against all but essential travel to the city.


The Thai government announces it plans to send the military to surround the red-shirt camps in the centre of Bangkok unless the protesters disperse immediately.

Protesters in Bangkok, Thailand (13 May 2010)
Protesters ignore a deadline to abandon their camps

Officials urge businesses in the area to close and public transport is suspended. Mr Abhisit withdraws his offer to hold early elections in November.

The deadline to vacate the camps comes and goes, with the protesters remaining in place.

In the evening, a prominent renegade general, Khattiya Sawasdipol - better known as Seh Daeng [Commander Red] - is shot in the head by an unknown attacker while being interviewed by a foreign journalist. He is taken to hospital in a critical condition.

The army moves in to seal off the area with officials warning they will use live ammunition to defend themselves. One protester is later shot dead as correspondents say both sides appear to have abandoned all talk of reconciliation.

Print Sponsor

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific