The fire broke out in a karaoke bar on the third floor of a building
At least 20 people have been killed after a fire broke out in a building in Medan, in the north of the Indonesian island of Sumatra, police said.
The fire engulfed a karaoke bar situated on the third floor of a commercial building in the city, Indonesia's third largest.
Officials had difficulty gaining access to the smoke-filled rooms where victims were trapped.
The fire, which began early on Friday evening, burned for at least an hour.
Two more people were critically injured and were being treated in hospital, the Associated Press news agency quoted provincial police chief Badrodin Haiti as saying.
Local media reports suggested hundreds of people had been in the bar when the fire started.
Officials said they believed a short-circuit may have caused the blaze.
Medan police chief Imam Margono told AFP news agency: "They were killed because they got trapped on the third floor in the karaoke lounges.
"The lounges were near a kitchen and the third floor was sound-proofed, so there was no ventilation."
He added: "From the third floor the fire spread rapidly to other floors."