Languages
Page last updated at 03:02 GMT, Thursday, 23 July 2009 04:02 UK

Jakarta mastermind's 'wife' held

A police officer holds up the sketches of the two men suspected of bombing luxury hotels in Jakarta on Friday
The police say these were the men who attacked the two luxury hotels

Indonesian police have arrested a woman believed to be the wife of the man who allegedly masterminded last week's attacks on two hotels in Jakarta.

The woman, identified as Ariana Rahma, was detained during a raid on an Islamic school in central Java.

Ms Ariana is reported to be married to Noordin Mohammed Top, a wanted militant.

Police earlier released facial images of the two men suspected of carrying out the bomb attacks.

The police sketches of the alleged bombers were based on two heads found in the wreckage at the JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels.

The attacks killed nine people and injured scores of others.

It is unclear what charges Ms Ariana might be facing, but in recent raids in Cilacap police say they found bomb-making material at an Islamic boarding school and explosives buried in the garden of a house of Mr Noordin's father-in-law.

Mr Noordin is wanted for plotting the bombings in Bali in 2005 and other attacks in Indonesia.

The police say they are looking into similarities between the Bali attacks and the recent bombing in Jakarta.

Mr Noordin was said to be a key financier for the militant Islamic group Jemaah Islamiah, but is now thought to have set up his own splinter group.

Foreign dead

The man whose remains were found in the Ritz-Carlton is dark-skinned with short dark hair. The police said he was aged between 20 and 40.

The second man, found at the Marriott, was lighter skinned and aged just 16 or 17.

NOORDIN MOHAMED TOP
Born in Malaysia, fled to Indonesia after 9/11
Wanted for planning bombings on Bali in 2002 and 2005 and other attacks
Said to have split from Jemaah Islamiah over strategy disagreements and set up new group
Main accomplice Azahari Husin killed by police in 2005
Escaped police raid in 2006 and continues to evade capture

Several foreigners were among those who died in Friday's attack, including New Zealander Timothy Mackay, 62, president director of Holcim Indonesia cement company, and Australians Nathan Verity and Garth McEvoy.

Another of the victims was Craig Senger, the first Australian government official to be killed in a terrorist attack - he worked as a trade commission officer at the embassy in Jakarta.

Officials said 17 foreigners were among the wounded, including eight Americans and citizens of Australia, Britain, Canada, Hong Kong, India, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway and South Korea.

Police say they are investigating similarities to the twin bomb attacks on Bali in 2002, which killed 202 people.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Mourning as Jakarta probes bombs
20 Jul 09 |  Asia-Pacific
Fugitive linked to Jakarta blasts
18 Jul 09 |  Asia-Pacific
Fatal blasts hit Jakarta hotels
17 Jul 09 |  Asia-Pacific
An attack waiting to happen?
17 Jul 09 |  Asia-Pacific
'There was a huge explosion'
17 Jul 09 |  Asia-Pacific
Profile: Jemaah Islamiah
10 Mar 10 |  Asia-Pacific


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific