Final preparations are under way in Beijing for the start of the Games
Olympic officials have denied agreeing to curbs on internet access for foreign journalists covering the Beijing Games.
Reporters found a number of politically sensitive websites blocked earlier this week, and some senior Olympic officials said they had been aware of it.
But International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge said that there had been "no deal to accept restrictions" on access.
He also praised China's organisation of the Games, which open next week.
Speaking at a news conference in Beijing, Mr Rogge hailed the "excellent organisation" of the Games, saying the Olympic village was the best he had ever seen.
However, he went on to say that the IOC required journalists "to have the fullest possible access to report on the Olympic Games".
The IOC president says no deal was made to accept internet restrictions
"I am adamant in saying there has been no deal whatsoever to accept restrictions," he added.
When asked if the IOC had been naive on the internet issue, Mr Rogge said: "I would say we are idealists. Idealism is linked with some naivety."
China had promised that foreign media would be given unfettered access.
On Wednesday, IOC press commission chairman Kevan Gosper said he had been advised that some IOC officials "had negotiated with the Chinese that some sensitive sites would be blocked" at Olympic venues.
China enforces tough internet controls, and Chinese President Hu Jintao has appealed to the international media not to "politicise" the Beijing Games.
However, access restrictions appear to have been eased in recent days.
Mr Rogge said on Saturday that he was pleased that journalists could now visit the BBC Mandarin website, Wikipedia and a number of websites for human rights groups.
Some other sensitive sites are reported to remain unavailable.
Other major concerns in the week before the Games begin have been about drug use and air quality.
On Saturday, the IOC stripped gold medals from the US 4x400m men's relay team won at the Sydney Games in 2000, after sprinter Antonio Pettigrew admitted in June that he used banned substances between 1997 and 2003.
We do have fallback plans if all of a sudden [the air quality] deteriorates to the point where the health and safety of our athletes might be in jeopardy
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.