Languages
Page last updated at 15:23 GMT, Friday, 30 May 2008 16:23 UK

UN opposes forced Burma returns

A boy in the Irrawaddy Delta on 29 May 2008
An estimated 2.4m cyclone survivors remain homeless and hungry

A senior UN official has said that any coercion of Burmese cyclone victims to return home is completely unacceptable.

Terje Skavdal's remarks follow reports that Burma's military government had begun to evict homeless families from some government-run emergency camps.

It has given them bamboo poles and tarpaulins and told them to go and rebuild their lives, say reports.

An estimated 2.4m people remain homeless and hungry following Cyclone Nargis, which struck on 2 May.

Mr Skavdal, head of the UN Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs, said he could not confirm the camp closures but pointed out that the agency did not endorse premature return to areas with no services.

"People need to be assisted in the settlements and satisfactory conditions need to be created before they can return to their place of origins," said Mr Skavdal.

"Any forced or coerced movement of people is completely unacceptable."

'Bureaucratic hindrance'

A Unicef official, Teh Tai Ring, had earlier said camps set up by the government in the Irrawaddy Delta towns of Bogale and Labutta had been emptied, according to the Associated Press news agency.

map

Mr Skavdal also complained of "bureaucratic hindrance" of aid workers and urged the junta to allow in 30 International Red Cross staff who were awaiting visas.

Last week, senior General Than Shwe assured UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon all foreign aid workers would be allowed in.

The international community last week pledged $150m (75m) for cyclone relief in Burma but state media lashed out at donors, saying the junta needed $11bn to rebuild the stricken country.

The Burmese-language daily, Myanma Ahlin, said cyclone survivors could get by without "bars of chocolate" from the international community.

At least 78,000 people have died as a result of the cyclone, and another 56,000 people are still missing.




RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific