Relief for those affected by Cyclone Nargis has been slow to arrive
The United Nations has called for an air or sea corridor to be opened to channel large amounts of aid to the victims of Cyclone Nargis in Burma.
The UN's humanitarian agency said there was a risk of a "second catastrophe" unless a massive operation began.
The UN said it had only been able to reach 270,000 of the 1.5m survivors.
European nations have meanwhile called for the UN principle of "responsibility to protect" to be applied, allowing aid deliveries without Burma's consent.
UN member states acknowledged in 2005 a collective "responsibility to protect" people from genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity.
BBC reporter on improvement in aid situation
France, Germany and the UK said they would make the proposal to the UN Security Council, but acknowledged they did not have unanimous support from the EU, French Human Rights Minister Rama Yade told reporters in Brussels.
Earlier, the military government in Burma said it remained opposed to granting visas to foreign aid workers to help co-ordinate the relief operation.
Vice-Admiral Soe Thein said it was grateful for the aid shipment from the United States that arrived on Monday but insisted that "skilful humanitarian workers are not necessary".
A BBC correspondent in Burma says more aid is getting through, but many people have yet to receive any help.
The official death toll from Cyclone Nargis has now reached 34,273, according to Burmese state television, but observers fear the final count will be much higher. A further 27,838 people are missing.
The spokeswoman of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Geneva, Elizabeth Byrs, warned that its teams had only been able to reach 270,000 people - less than a fifth of the estimated total of survivors.
"We are only seeing the peak of the iceberg, and the situation risks becoming a lot more dramatic if there isn't an acceleration of humanitarian aid," she said.
So far, she said, the World Food Programme had been able to send only 361 tonnes of food aid - and distribute just 175 tonnes.
A further 55,000 tonnes of rice would be needed to feed those most in need for the next three months, Ms Byrs said. Half of the rice would need to be imported.
"The scope of the disaster is huge," she warned. "That's why we need to act quickly in order to avoid a second disaster or maybe a third disaster."
"We need a kind of air bridge or sea bridge, and huge means as... we did during the [2004 Asian] tsunami. It's the same kind of logistical operation. That's why it's urgently needed that we act now," she added.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has told Burma's government there is not a moment to lose, warning that rice stocks in the country are "close to exhaustion".
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.