A high-school pupil has killed two of his classmates and wounded four more after a stabbing spree in southern China, state media has reported.
Wu Jianguo launched the alleged assault after a study session at his school in Guangdong province on Tuesday night.
Villagers said the 17-year-old, who later handed himself in to police, attacked the boys after being asked for protection money.
The four injured boys are said to be in a stable condition in hospital.
According to the Beijing Times, Wu Jianguo attacked the students as they emerged from a lift.
The paper described him as a solitary, irritable figure, saying he had transferred to Maoming's Number Three Middle School last year.
The state news agency, Xinhua, reported that the teenager fled the school before handing himself in to police "on his parents' advice".
The agency quoted a villager as saying the victims had asked Wu for protection money - but the police have not yet confirmed any motive.
In recent years there have been several fatal incidents at schools in China.
After a spate of stabbings in 2004, schools began employing professional guards to protect pupils.