[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Tuesday, 10 July 2007, 03:56 GMT 04:56 UK
North Korea talks 'set to resume'
North Korean nuclear reactor at Yongbyon. File photo
The international community has long wanted Yongbyon shut down
China has proposed that six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear programme resume in Beijing on 18 July, South Korea's Yonhap news agency says.

China has informed all the sides involved, Yonhap says, citing a diplomatic source.

Earlier, UN nuclear inspectors were given the go-ahead to return to North Korea to begin the process of shutting down the main nuclear reactor.

Pyongyang has agreed to close the reactor in exchange for energy aid.

The first delivery of aid - a shipment of fuel oil - is expected to arrive from South Korea by the end of the week.

Shut-down agreement

On Monday, the 35-nation board of the UN's nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), approved the mission to North Korea at a meeting in Vienna.

It will be the first time inspections have been allowed at Yongbyon since UN monitors were expelled in 2002.

Diplomats in Vienna said the inspection team could be in North Korea within a week to begin the process of verifying the shut-down of Yongbyon, which is capable of producing enough plutonium for a nuclear weapon each year.

The inspectors will install monitoring cameras and seals on equipment at the reactor, as part of a two-year mission that is expected to cost some $5m (2.48m).

"The shutting down of the facilities, according our experts, should not take much time, probably a few days, but then we will have to install cameras and put other... equipment in place to ensure that we are able to monitor the shutting down of these facilities," said UN nuclear chief Mohamed ElBaradei.

The IAEA meeting was considering the findings of the organisation's deputy director general, Olli Heinonen, and his three-man team, when they visited North Korea last month.

Their report, seen by news agencies, says inspectors have been granted access to all the facilities that are to be shut down, and will be allowed to install all the necessary equipment needed to verify the closure.

North Korea agreed in February that it would shut down the Yongbyon reactor. The agreement was the result of long-running talks with the US, Russia, China, South Korea and Japan.





FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific