[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Wednesday, 26 July 2006, 10:18 GMT 11:18 UK
Bali bombers execution date set
Amrozi, seen here in April 2006
The men have said they will not seek presidential clemency
Three men convicted over the 2002 Bali bombings are set be executed next month, Indonesian officials said.

Letters have been sent to the men's families informing them of plans to carry out the executions at the end of August, Bali prosecutors said.

The three men - Amrozi, Ali Gufron and Imam Samudra - were sentenced to death in autumn 2003.

But prosecutors said the execution could be delayed if the men appealed for a judicial review of their case.

Made Suratmaja, the head of Denpasar's district attorney office, told Reuters news agency that the date of the execution could not be published until it had been carried out.

But he said the men, their lawyers and their families had been sent letters notifying them of preparations for the execution.

He said the sentences would be carried out on the prison island of Nusakambangan, where the men are being held.

On Wednesday, prosecutors in East Java said they had handed letters to relatives of the two convicted men that fell within their jurisdiction.

Other officials were quoted as saying the execution would be carried out on 22 August.

Review

Aftermath of the Bali bomb, October 2002
Many western tourists were among those killed

Two of the three men - Amrozi and Imam Samudra - said in October 2005 that they would not seek presidential clemency and were reported to have told prosecutors they were "ready to be executed anytime soon".

But a lawyer for Amrozi, Wiranan Adnan, told the Associated Press news agency that he planned to file a demand for a judicial review.

He did not reveal grounds for the appeal, but other lawyers said a challenge could be filed because the men were convicted of breaking a law passed after the attacks, AP said.

More than 30 people have been convicted over the October 2002 nightclub attacks, which killed more than 200 people.




RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific