[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Wednesday, 19 July 2006, 15:10 GMT 16:10 UK
North halts inter-Korean reunions
Families members from North and South Korea wave goodbye to each other after a reunion on 27 June 2006
The meetings reunite families divided since the Korean War
North Korea says it will halt cross-border family reunions with the South, in retaliation for Seoul's decision to suspend food aid shipments.

The North accused the South of "sacrificing" humanitarian co-operation under pressure from Japan and the US.

Seoul announced the suspension of rice and fertiliser deliveries after inter-Korea talks collapsed last week.

The talks followed North Korea's missile tests on 5 July, which have raised international concern.

Pyongyang test-fired seven missiles, including a long-range Taepodong-2 believed capable of reaching Alaska.

South Korea says it will not discuss further humanitarian aid with its neighbour until progress is made on resolving issues relating to the missile tests and the North's nuclear ambitions.

After the high-level talks in Busan fell apart last week, the delegation from Pyongyang issued a statement warning of consequences for inter-Korean ties.

'Impossible'

In the latest statement, North Korea's Red Cross head Jang Jae-on accused the South of "abusing the humanitarian issue for meeting its sinister purpose to serve the outsiders".

"Our side is, therefore, of the view that it has become impossible to hold any discussion related to humanitarian issues, to say nothing of arranging any reunion between separated families and relatives between the two sides," he said.

A video reunion meeting scheduled for 15 August would not take place and the planned construction of a reunion centre in the North's Mt Kumgang was "impossible", he said.

The reunions bring together families divided by the partitioning of the Korean Peninsula in 1953. The policy has been a key part of reconciliation efforts between the two Koreas.

Sanctions

Earlier, South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun told a meeting of security advisers that Pyongyang's missile tests were "wrong behaviour" that increased regional tensions.

But he warned against overreacting, saying: "An excessive response to North Korea's missile tests creates unnecessary tensions and confrontation."

Shinzo Abe ( file photo)
Mr Abe said the measures would include a ban on remittances

On Tuesday, the Japanese government said it had begun work on its own set of sanctions for North Korea, in addition to those agreed by the UN Security Council.

The council unanimously passed a resolution on Saturday which condemned the missile launches, but it was softer than the draft initially proposed by Japan.

Japan would look into banning cash remittances to the North from Korean residents, Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe told reporters.

But on Wednesday, Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said he would not rush to impose more sanctions.

"We should wait and see for a while whether North Korea will seriously respond to the (UN) resolution," he said.


BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
See scenes of past family reunions



RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific