Wednesday, October 27, 1999 Published at 06:08 GMT 07:08 UK
UN wants $200m for East Timor
An Australian medic evacuates a wounded woman from Oekussi
The United Nations and humanitarian groups have launched a worldwide appeal for $200m to finance more than 60 projects in East Timor.
The UN said that the scope of devastation in the territory was extraordinary, with 75% of its people displaced and 70% of the buildings destroyed in looting and attacks set off by the 30 August independence referendum.
Enclave 'a wasteland'
Many buildings had been destroyed and there was no evidence of people's livestock.
Some 3,000 refugees have now returned and gathered at a church, which appears to be the only building left intact by rampaging pro-Jakarta militias.
The enclave is thought to have had a population of around 50,000 prior to the August referendum.
A list was posted in the church with the names of 34 people reported slain, with notes from witnesses describing how they were killed - "a machete wound, a gunshot" - and the date they died.
The accounts could not be independently confirmed.
The Australian-led peacekeeping force, Interfet, has only established a small presence in Oekussi since coming ashore on Friday.
Interfet says it arrested 40 suspected militia members - some armed with pipe guns and knives - on the first day of its deployment.
Meanwhile, the World Bank has announced plans to set up a trust fund for East Timor, the first time the World Bank has set up such a facility in a country that is not a member. Member-nations will be asked to contribute.