[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 16 November 2005, 18:05 GMT
Glowing meat alarms Australians
Pork being prepared by a butcher
If your pork chops do glow, it is best to throw them away
Australians have been told there is no need to panic after a recent "glow-in-the-dark pork chop" scare.

A caller to a Sydney radio talk show sparked fears of radioactive contamination in the meat supply.

The New South Wales Food Authority said the glow was caused by the harmless Pseudomonas fluorescens bacteria.

Food authority head George Davey said he understood people would be "shocked" to see their meat glowing in the fridge but said the bacteria were safe.

"It is important to remember that the micro organism responsible for the glow is not known to cause food poisoning," he said.

The bacteria are naturally present in meat and fish but they multiply quickly if food is not stored at the correct temperature.

So the glowing can be a sign that the food is starting to go off and Mr Davey recommends consumers throw any luminous pork chops - or other cuts of meat - straight into the dustbin.

"Remember this simple advice - if it glows, throw it."

Country profile: Australia
27 Sep 05 |  Country profiles

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific