Thursday, September 9, 1999 Published at 22:05 GMT 23:05 UK
Anger over Timor violence
Tens of thousands have fled over the border into West Timor
The UN Security Council says it is gravely concerned about the continuing violence in East Timor by opponents of independence.
More evidence has begun to emerge that the militias are carrying out systematic killings and expulsions.
A 19-year-old Catholic student told the BBC that he and his friends he had been ordered to leave.
US President Bill Clinton on Thursday demanded that Jakarta allow the international community to provide security in East Timor.
He accused Indonesia of failing to stop "gross abuses."
However Indonesia has repeatedly rejected offers of a multinational peacekeeping force to help restore law and order.
On Thursday it turned down the latest offer by the UN.
Indonesian President BJ Habibie told a delegation from the UN Security Council in Jakarta that "he would welcome any form of international assistance in East Timor except military".
The Roman Catholic church says it has evidence that priests, nuns and other Catholics have been massacred by the pro-Indonesian militias.
Vatican officials said they had confirmed that about 100 people were killed when a church was set on fire in the southern town of Suai earlier this week.
A spokesman for the Catholic aid agency, Caritas, said there appeared to be a systematic campaign against the church.
(Click here to see a map of the area)
Dozens of military and chartered aircraft carrying refugees are arriving in Kupang, the capital of West Timor.
People are also being forced to flee by land or put onto ships.
More than 60,000 people have been forced across the border to West Timor where they are being held in camps controlled by the Indonesian military.
UN Security Council members said they were appalled by the growing humanitarian crisis and gravely concerned about the security situation.
Water, electricity and communications have been restored and food supplies have arrived by plane from Australia.
But a UN spokesman said anti-independence militias fired over the heads of UN staff trying to reach a warehouse, despite the presence of an Indonesian military escort.
Some 100 UN staff have decided against being evacuated in order to stay with 2,000 refugees sheltering in the compound.
The head of the UN mission in Dili, Ian Martin, told the BBC that the UN would retain a "significant international staff," and that he would stay on himself.
About 162 East Timorese UN staff members are due to be evacuated to Darwin on Friday.
Martial law 'working'
However, he also said that what he called rogue elements within the security forces had been involved in the destruction.
President Habibie has agreed to let a UN delegation visit East Timor on Saturday.
The head of the UN delegation, Namibian UN ambassador Martin Andjaba, said after talks with Mr Habibie that the main purpose had been "to get Unamet back on the ground and carrying out its mandate".
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Mary Robinson, is also travelling to the area.
She is going first to Darwin in Australia but hopes to visit both Dili and Jakarta.
Other top stories
(Click here to return)