A man armed with homemade guns has shot and wounded 16 children at a primary school in the eastern Chinese province of Anhui, according to state media.
Seven of the children were in a serious condition in hospital, Xinhua said.
Police are hunting for the man responsible, who escaped after the shooting at the Niutoushan Primary School in Guangde County, Anhui.
China's government has tightened security at schools after a number of such attacks in recent years.
STRING OF ATTACKS
November 04 - man knifes to death eight children in high school in Ruzhou
September 04 - man knifes 28 children in day care centre in Suzhou
September 04 - man knifes 24 children at school in Shandong
August 04 - 15 children and 3 teachers knifed in Beijing kindergarten, by man with history of mental illness. One child died
The latest attack happened at 0815 local time (0015 GMT) at the Niutoushan Primary School in Liudong Town as the schoolchildren were doing their morning exercises, Xinhua reported.
It said a cable television company employee who was working nearby, Chen Yongfeng, ran to the school after hearing the shots and tried to pick up the man's guns, but the assailant hit Mr Chen on the head with one of the weapons and escaped.
According to the local Xinan Evening News, doctors removed six bullets from one student and two from another.
It is the latest in a series of attacks on schools in China in the last few years. They include the knifing to death of eight children in a high school in Henan province last year, and two separate attacks on kindergartens in Beijing which left two children and a teacher dead.