Indonesia police say they just missed capturing a man believed to be Bali bombing suspect Noordin Mohamed Top.
Noordin Mohamed Top (left) and Azahari Husin are key suspects
Officers raided a house in central Java on Friday, but the Malaysian fugitive had fled just hours earlier, according to the area's police chief.
Noordin Mohamed Top is one of the key suspects blamed for last weekend's Bali bombing and a series of other attacks.
Police have still not named the three suicide bombers who carried out the latest Bali attack, killing 19 people.
Abdul Madjid, chief commissioner for the city of Solo, said he could confirm Noordin Top had been in the house they raided in Purwantoro district.
He said police had been forced to delay their operation for several hours because they feared the suspect was armed with explosives.
By the time reinforcements arrived "it was too late", Reuters news agency quotes him as saying.
The people of Bali are still clearing up after the latest attack
Police are also investigating reports that a man named Gareng from Solo could be one of the bombers, Mr Madjid said.
"There was someone who knows Gareng but lost contact with him," Mr Madjid told local reporters, giving no further information.
Bali's police chief has described the suicide bombers as coming from a "new generation" of militants.
"Until now they have not been recognised by old groups. That means they are new people," Made Mangku Pastika told reporters.
But he did not completely rule out a connection with those responsible for the attacks three years ago, saying it was possible they may have trained the suicide bombers.
Police attention continues to focus on Jemaah Islamiah (JI), although experts say the group has changed markedly from its previous structure.
Noordin Top and another Malaysian, Azahari Husin, are still on the run, but much of the old network has been disbanded due to the arrest of key personnel and internal splits.
The US announced late on Thursday that it was offering a $10m (£5.7m) reward for information leading to the capture or death of Dulmatin, believed to be a senior JI figure and another key suspect in the 2002 Bali bombings.
A second reward of $1m (£570,000) is being offered for the arrest of Umar Patek, also suspected of being involved in the 2002 Bali attack.
Dulmatin and Patek are both thought to be hiding with the militant group Abu Sayyaf in the southern Philippines island of Mindanao.
According to the BBC correspondent in Jakarta, Rachel Harvey, the timing of the US reward for the capture of Dulmatin is intriguing, coming so soon after the latest Bali attack.
But officials have avoided making any direct connection between them.
Authorities in Bali are continuing to clean up after the attack. Australia has confirmed four of its nationals died in the explosion - from a total of 19 killed by the bombers.