[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Monday, 3 October 2005, 06:01 GMT 07:01 UK
Police seek Bali bombers' names
Video footage of suspected bomber (in black top and jeans)
Video footage shows a suspected bomber, who is wearing a black shirt
Indonesian police have released photos of the severed heads of the suspected Bali suicide attackers as they seek the gang behind the bombings.

Local newspapers ran the pictures with appeals for help in identifying the three men.

At least 19 people died in Saturday's bombings of popular tourist resorts.

Investigators said the bombers were recruited, trained and equipped by a back-up team, and hope that naming the bombers will unveil the masterminds.

Police believe radical group Jemaah Islamiah (JI) was behind the bombings at Jimbaran and Kuta.

The three bombs exploded in tourist areas within moments of each other, nearly three years after bombs in Bali nightclubs killed 202 people, including many Westerners.

A ceremony for the victims

Police chief Made Mangku Pastika said the bombs appeared to have been built using TNT and metal slugs.

On Sunday, video footage was released showing one of the suspected bombers walking into a restaurant in Kuta, moments before an explosion.

The footage, taken by a tourist, shows a man dressed in a black shirt and jeans walking into a restaurant with something on his back.

He disappears from screen just seconds before there is a bright flash as the bomb explodes. Black smoke fills the frame and people can be heard screaming.

Revised death toll

Authorities had previously put the total at 26, but later revised it down to 19 plus the three bombers.

Most of those killed were Indonesian, but casualties are also believed to include people from Australia, Japan, South Korea and the US.

More than 100 people were wounded, 17 of them seriously.

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner says Bali offers an attractive target for JI because it is full of Western tourists in a predominantly Muslim country.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, who has visited the scene of the blasts, told reporters the attacks would only strengthen his government's resolve in fighting terrorism.

HAVE YOUR SAY
The people of Bali are so welcoming and friendly and have feared the economic impact of more bombs.
Hayley Hanratty, England

Two Malaysian fugitives have been named as the suspected masterminds of the attacks.

They are Azahari Bin Husin and Noordin Mohamed Top - suspected JI leaders who have been on Indonesia's most wanted list since the attacks of 12 October 2002.

Their group is also suspected of being behind a suicide bombing at the Marriott hotel in Jakarta in 2003, and a suicide bombing at the Australian embassy last September.




BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
Funeral processions begin for the Bali dead



RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific