Suicide bombers carried out the attacks on three Bali restaurants that killed at least 19 people, a senior Indonesian anti-terror official has said.
Maj Gen Ansyaad Mbai said the remains of three bombers were found at the scenes in the tourist areas of Jimbaran and Kuta.
He said the attacks appeared to have been carried out by regional militant group Jemaah Islamiah (JI).
JI was blamed for the 2002 Bali bombings, which left 202 people dead.
In the latest attack, the authorities had said that 26 people were killed. They now believe the number of dead to be 22 - including the three suspected bombers.
More than 100 people were wounded, 17 of them seriously.
Gen Mbai said the three attackers went into the restaurants - two in Jimbaran beach resort, the third in Kuta - on Saturday evening wearing explosive vests, which they detonated.
"I have seen them. All that is left is their head and feet," he told the Associated Press news agency.
The bombs appear to have been packed with ball bearings - a technique commonly used by suicide attackers to maximise casualties.
Vicky Griffiths, an Australian survivor, said X-rays had showed ball bearings were embedded in her back.
The BBC's Tim Johnston in Bali says the confirmation strengthens the assumption voiced by many Indonesian officials that JI was responsible for these bombings as it was for the attack three years ago.
Gen Mbai said two Malaysian fugitives were suspected of masterminding the strikes - Azahari Bin Husin and Noordin Mohamed Top. Both have been on Indonesia's most wanted list since the attacks in 2002.
The two are accused of orchestrating those blasts and two others in the Indonesian capital, Jakarta, in 2003 and 2004.
"The modus operandi of Saturday's attacks is the same as the earlier ones," said Gen Mbai, adding that the remains of backpacks had also been found at the scene of the blasts.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.
However, BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner says Bali - a predominantly Hindu island popular with Western tourists - represents a soft and tempting target for Islamist extremists linked to al-Qaeda.
Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has vowed that those responsible will be caught.
"We will hunt down the perpetrators and bring them to justice."
The government has placed Jakarta on maximum alert, deploying extra forces at embassies and other strategic locations.
Police say the three blasts happened almost simultaneously just before 2000 local time (1200GMT) on Saturday.
Most of those killed were Indonesian, but casualties are also believed to include people from Australia, Japan, South Korea and the US.
The blasts come less than two weeks before the third anniversary of massive bomb attacks that killed 202 people - including 88 Australians.
JI, the group blamed for the 12 October 2002 bombings, is also suspected of being behind a suicide bombing at the Marriott hotel in Jakarta in 2003, and a suicide bombing at the Australian embassy last September.
The authorities had warned that militants had been planning further attacks on Western targets in Indonesia, although there had been no particular alerts over the past few days.
Did you witness the explosions? Send us your eyewitness accounts. If you have images please send them to email@example.com
The BBC may edit your comments and not all emails will be published. Your comments may be published on any BBC media worldwide.