[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Friday, 14 January, 2005, 10:38 GMT
Jakarta calls for Aceh truce
US soldiers make a chain to load relief goods into a Seahawk helicopter en route for a relief mission in the remote areas of the Aceh province at the military airport in Banda Aceh, 14 January 2005
There are concerns that long-term conflict in Aceh could disrupt aid
Indonesian Vice-President Jusuf Kalla has said his government wants a permanent truce with rebels in Aceh.

Both sides had already undertaken to observe a ceasefire following the Asian tsunami, but Mr Kalla said on Friday he wanted it made permanent.

Rebels from the Free Aceh Movement (Gam) have not responded to the offer.

Analysts are unsure if the tsunami will bring both sides to talks to end the decades-long conflict, or whether its disruption will be exploited.

Gam repeated on Thursday its offer of a ceasefire, and Mr Kalla responded positively.

But on Friday he went further, telling reporters: "Ceasefire means you stop now, and fight another day. No, we're making (it) permanently," he said.

The two sides last attempted to reach a peace deal two years ago, but talks broke down and Jakarta launched a military offensive to crush the rebellion.
ACEH: KEY FACTS
Province on the north-western tip of Sumatra
Higher percentage of Muslims than other parts of Indonesia
Gam rebels have fought decades-long separatist campaign
Internationally-brokered peace deal brokered in Dec 02 but collapsed in May 03
Year-long military crackdown weakened Gam, but failed to capture senior members

The province was closed to international organisations and journalists - a restriction which was lifted following the tsunami.

But the military has already indicated it wants to reassert control. This week, aid agencies wanting to travel outside the major towns have been told they must register with the authorities and take a military escort.

The authorities say the measures are necessary because the separatists have been shooting at aid workers and attempting to kidnap them, a charge the rebels deny.

Some minor skirmishes between rebels and Indonesian troops have been reported but the circumstances have not been clear.

The government has also told all foreign troops helping the aid effort to leave Aceh within three months.

UN humanitarian chief Jan Egeland pressed Jakarta on Friday to rethink this.

"I am sure the Indonesian government will agree with me that the most important thing is to save lives and not have deadlines," he told reporters.

Health worries

Indonesia's death toll from the earthquake and tsunami has risen to 110,229. The country accounts for a large majority of the toll across Indian Ocean nations, which stands at more than 158,000 people.

International aid agencies say supplies are getting through, sickness and diarrhoea are being kept in check and, in some areas, houses are being rebuilt.

But health experts warned that up to 100,000 people in the region could die of malaria in the coming months if the authorities did not act quickly to kill mosquitoes carrying the disease.

Richard Allan, director of the Mentor Initiative, which is leading the malaria campaign in Indonesia, told AP news agency the combination of the tsunami and heavy rains was creating the largest breeding sites in the country's history.




RELATED BBC LINKS:


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific